St Luke's Church & The War Memorial
View down Station Road
The Playing Field and Pavillion
Newton Poppleford was indeed a 'new town' back in the 15th century, and the 'pebble ford' was the only available way to cross the River Otter - but of course now we have a stone bridge carrying the main road that comes from Exeter, and after Newton Poppleford passes Sidmouth, Branscombe, Beer, Colyford, Seaton and on to Lyme Regis.
The parish in total currently (2014) has nearly 1000 dwellings and around 2,300 residents, the majority being in Newton Poppleford. The parish of Newton Poppleford & Harpford comprises several smaller hamlets that have grown together over the centuries. Apart from the obvious large village of Newton Poppleford and well-defined village of Harpford, there are the areas of Burrow, Goosemoor, Northmostown, Southerton, and Venn Ottery.
This is a popular area for people who enjoy the lovely countryside but still wanting easy access to the seaside. The whole parish is within the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, with many lovely walks and riding trails, as well as being popular with cylists. We are also fortunate that the East Devon and Dorset World Heritage Coastline - usually known as The Jurassic Coast - is so close, stretching from Exmouth in the west, to just past Swanage in the east - 95 miles!