The Council owns or manages a number of assets in the parish for the benefit of residents and visitors. These assets are shown below:
The Council's Asset Register as submitted to the External Auditor can be viewed HERE
||Date Acquired||Other Information
||Near junction of Venn Ottery Road and Hunger Hill.
|| ||Land donated by Clinton Devon Estates.
| Bus shelters
||All on main road:
Concrete shelters at Burrow, and next to bridge over River Otter.
Metal/glass shelters are near Back Lane; Church Green; outside Langsford Farm.
|Concrete shelters date from decades in the past.|
Metal/glass shelters installed approx 2000.
|Metal/glass shelters were purchased with help from EDDC and DCC.
| Old Surgery building
||South-west corner of car park (off School Lane).
||During 1980s.||Donated by Cllr George Compton. Conditions control its use.
| Webber's Meadow
||Between Back Lane and River Otter.
||Land purchased at auction in approx 2009.||Purchased with loan from PWLB. Amenity area for leisure and dog-walking etc.
| Playing Field|| Back Lane|
| Play equipment|
| Older Cemetery
||Near St Luke's Church, adjacent to car park off School Lane
||Probably 1940. Extended in the 1960s (land donated by local resident). ||Started around 1940. Now full (2014) apart from any pre-purchased plots.
| New Cemetery
||Venn Ottery Road, adjacent to allotments.
||Approx. 1998. ||
| Benches||Around Parish|
| Variety of styles,|
| Notice Boards||Various locations around the parish. || || |
| Roll Board||In Village Hall, records the Chairmen and Clerks of the council. ||Approx 1995|| |
| One unit, 3 posts|| 2015|| Designed to be|
sites as required
Note that some of these assets are legally required to have a book value of £1, even though the insurance value or the amount that might be realised on sale could be considerably higher.
There are other village assets that are not owned by the Parish Council, but are sometimes perceived as council assets; these include:
* The Playing Field and Pavilion (Back Lane). The PFF is a separate charitable trust but is now managed by the Parish Council to act as Trustee. There is a well-used childrens play area on part of the playing field which is maintained by the Council. A total dog ban operates across the whole Playing Field site.
* The Village Hall in Station Road is a separate charity, but receives some financial support from the council.
* Harpford Hall in Harpford is operated by a separate charity, but receives some financial support from the council.